Family Visas Australia


Our registered migration agents, specializing in family visas Australia, can help assess your family visa eligibility professionally and promptly. We have assisted hundreds of clients with preparing and lodging successful visa applications.

Why dive into this article? Well, because if you’re an Australian resident wanting to bring your kids or parents to join you in Australia, understanding the various family visa options is your first step.




If you are a parent or step-parent and an Australian permanent resident or citizen, and your child or stepchild is outside of Australia, you might be eligible to apply for a Child Visa.

The Subclass 101 Child visa allows children from outside Australia to live with their parents permanently in Australia.

Child Visa Holders’ Opportunities

  • Migrate to Australia as a permanent resident
  • Study
  • Access Medicare
  • Apply for Australian citizenship (if eligible)

Applying for a Child Visa

To be eligible to apply for a Child Subclass 101 visa, a child must meet the following requirements:

  • Be outside Australia at the time of application and the time of decision
  • Have a parent or step-parent who is an Australian permanent resident or citizen
  • Be under 18, a full-time student between 18 to 25 years, or over 18 and unable to work due to a disability
  • Is financially dependent on the parent

Each child will submit a separate application. If the child has siblings, each sibling will be the primary applicant of their own application.

Applicants must meet the Australian health and character requirements.

How long does it take to get a decision on the 101 visa application?

The department does not specify the processing times for this visa due to the low volume of applications.

Other Child Visas in Australia: Exploring Family Visas Australia

If you hold a temporary Australian visa and would like to bring your child to Australia, you may apply for one of the below family visas:
457 Family Visa
TSS Family Visa
New Zealand Family Visa


Regardless if you are a permanent resident, an Australian citizen, or a visa holder, there are a range of options to bring your parents to Australia.

Parent Visa Subclass 103

The Parent Visa Subclass 103 allows parents of Australian citizens, permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens to live in Australia permanently.

Contributory Parent Visa (Temporary) Subclass 173

The Contributory Parent Visa (Temporary) Subclass 173 allows parents of an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen to live in Australia temporarily.

Applicants who want to stay in Australia permanently can apply for a Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143).

Contributory Parent Visa (Permanent) Subclass 143

The Contributory Parent Visa Subclass 143 allows parents of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to live in Australia permanently.

Aged Parent Visa Subclass 804

The Aged Parent Visa allows an older parent to move to Australia if more of their children live in Australia than in any other country.

Sponsored Parent Visa (Temporary) Subclass 870

Sponsored Parent visa (Subclass 870) provides parents with a new pathway to temporarily reunite with their children and grandchildren in Australia.


There are family visas available for the immediate family (spouse/partner) of Temporary Work (Subclass 457) Visa holders or Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) Subclass 482 Visa holders.

A TSS Family Visa is for the immediate family of a Subclass 482 Visa holder.

A TSS visa holder can add their spouse or de facto partner and children to their visa as secondary applicants.

TSS Visa secondary applicants are able to enter and remain in Australia for the duration of the main applicant’s TSS Visa (Subclass 482).

Secondary applicants can live, work, and study while residing in Australia.

Adding Family Members

TSS Family members can be included on the original 482 Visa application prior to lodgement.
Family members can be added to your TSS visa after approval.
Employers must support visa applications or additional family members.
TSS Family Visa application charges depend on the main applicant’s occupation. (Whether on the Short-Term Skilled Occupation List or the Medium Long-Term Strategic Skilled List).

Including Family Members

Applicants can include or add the following family members to their TSS Visa (Subclass 482) Visa:

  • Dependent children/step-children
  • Partner


Your married or de facto partner can be the same or opposite sex.

What Applicants Must Prove

  • The relationship is genuine and continuing
  • You live together or do not live separately on a permanent basis.
  • Your partner is at least 18 years of age when the application is lodged (there are some exceptions)
  • You are not related by family (if you are in a de facto relationship)
  • You and your partner have a mutual commitment to a shared life to the exclusion of all others


To be eligible to be included or added to a 186 visa, a child must:

  • Be your child or a stepchild from a current or a previous relationship (in certain circumstances);
  • Not be married, engaged to be married, or have a de facto partner;
  • Under 18 years of age, or
  • Over 18 years of age but not yet turned 23, and be dependent on you or your partner, or
  • Over 23 years of age and unable to earn a living to support themselves due to physical or cognitive limitations and be dependent on you or your partner (Note: The child will still need to meet Australia’s health requirement), or
  • A dependent child of a child who is eligible under 1, 2, or 3 above.


Family members are not required to show evidence of English level

Health & Character

All family members must meet the health and character requirements.

Ready to unite your family in Australia? Let’s navigate the world of Family Visas together. Contact our expert migration agents now to start your journey today!