189 Visa

What is a 189 Visa?

The Subclass 189 Skilled Independent Visa allows skilled people to migrate to Australia permanently without a sponsorship from an Australian employer.

189 Visa holders can:

  • be in or outside Australia when making the application
  • work and study anywhere in Australia
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • apply for Australian Citizenship (If eligible)

Skilled Independent visa (Subclass 189) applicants is a points-tested permanent visa.

The applicant must obtain a minimum of 65 points on the points assessment.

To apply for this visa, you must submit an expression of interest (EOI) and be invited by SkillSelect.

Upon receiving an invitation to apply for this visa, you have 60 days to submit your application.

Once the 189 Visa (Skilled Independent) Visa has been granted, the visa holder and accompanying family members are are able to live, work and study in Australia as permanent residents.

Applying for a 189 Visa

To be eligible to apply for a 189 Skilled Independent Visa, applicants must:

  • have an occupation on the relevant skilled occupation list
  • complete a successful skill assessment for the relevant occupation
  • have at least competent English
  • score at least 65 points. Calculate your points
  • be invited to apply

189 Visa Eligibility

You may be able to apply for a 189 Skilled Independent Visaif you meet the following requirements:

Your occupation must be on the relevant list of eligible skilled occupations.
You must perform a successful skill assessment through the authorised assessing authority to show that you have the skills and qualifications to work in your chosen occupation.

You must lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) and be invited to apply for this visa
You must score a minimum of 65 points to be invited to apply, however, invitations are often issued to applicants with more than 90 points.
You must meet the points score eligibility at the time you are invited to apply for the visa.

You can provide evidence of at least competent English, however, additional points will be awarded for proficient and superior English scores

You are under 45 when you receive an invitation to apply.

You must meet the health & character requirements.

Include your family

189 visa applicants may be able to include the below family members to their application

Your married or de facto partner can be the same or opposite sex. Applicants must prove:

  • the relationship is genuine and ongoing
  • you are living together, or do not live separately on a permanent basis.
  • your partner is at least 18 years of age when the application is lodged (some exceptions exist)
  • you are not related by family, and
  • you and your partner have a mutual commitment to a shared life

To be eligible to be included or added to a 189 visa, a child must:

  1. be your child or a stepchild from a current or a previous relationship (in certain circumstances);
  2. not be married, engaged to be married, or have a de facto partner; and must be:
  3. under 18 years of age; or
  • over 18 years of age but not yet turned 23, and be dependent on you or your partner; or
  • over 23 years of age and be unable to earn a living to support themselves due to physical or cognitive limitations and be dependent on you or your partner (Note: The child will still need to meet Australia’s health requirement); or
  • a dependent child of a child who is eligible under 1, 2 or 3 above.

Applicants over 18 must demonstrate Functional English. You can demonstrate Functional English without taking an English test if you:

  • hold a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland
  • have completed all years of primary education and at least three years of secondary education in an educational institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.
  • have completed at least five years of secondary education in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.
  • have completed at least one year of full-time study or equivalent part-time study towards a degree, higher degree, diploma, or associate diploma in an institution in Australia and all instructions were in English.
  • have completed a degree, a higher degree, a diploma or a trade certificate that required at least two years of full-time study or training in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.

You can choose to pay an additional application fee for family members who have less than functional English.

All family members must meet health and character requirements.

Get In Touch With Us For Personalised Service And Assistance

+64 22 399 4114



Send Your Inquiry

"*" indicates required fields

We are bound by a strict Code of Conduct and will keep your information Private & Confidential.

* Indicates required field

Drop files here or
Accepted file types: pdf, docx, Max. file size: 8 MB, Max. files: 10.
    Please provide your CV / Resume
    This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.